After the Miso Tasty event I was itching to get cooking with miso. I’ve been seeing cauliflower steak recipes all over the internet recently (Thanks, Pinterest) and I wanted to do my own twist on them.
Also weirdly enough when I was thinking up this recipe I text Becky to tell her and turns out she was also making a cauliflower based recipe! So expect more cauliflower goodness later on this week.
Serve with wild rice and steamed greens for a wholesome vegan dinner! My mum really wanted you to know that she thought this was my most delicious meal yet – Thanks mum.
- 1 cauliflower, outer leaves and central stalk cut away
- 3 sachets of Miso Tasty Spicy Aka Miso plus the sachets of umami and spring onion.
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp date syrup
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1 tsp brown rice vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil for frying
- Start by cutting up your cauliflower. After removing the stalk and outer leaves cut your cauliflower in half. Cut each half into fairly thick slices – otherwise they will fall apart. You might lose some cauliflower florets in the process but don’t worry! (I ended up with 3 steaks but you will have more if your cauliflower is bigger!)
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a large shallow dish using a flat whisk. Mix until fully incorporated and then put the steaks in the dish. Using a spoon, spoon over some of the marinade and spread it over the tops of the steaks.
- Cover with cling film and put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to marinade.
- Heat up a griddle pan (or frying pan) to a medium high heat and add 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil. Heat the oil until it appears to shimmer in the pan.
- Add your steaks to the pan and fry for 8-10 minutes each side, flipping them over carefully. The marinade will splutter a bit so be careful not to burn yourself.
- The steaks are ready once each side is caramelised and golden.
Please follow and like us:
This weekend we spent time at my aunt’s farm and a BBQ was on the cards for Sunday. Becoming vegan is a bit like being a boy scout – you always gotta be prepared. I brought my own goody bag with hummus, vegan mayonnaise, butter, soy milk etc but huge credit to my aunt for providing a plethora of vegetables for me! Here are some recipes for some of the things I ate at the BBQ.
- Wheaty Smoked Steak or similar seitan/faux meat product cut into medium chunks
- 1 medium sized onion, cut into quarters
- 1 courgette, cut into chunks
- 2 red peppers, cut into chunks
- 8 mushrooms, cut into chunks
- Metal BBQ skewers
Cut your vegetables and seitan into chunks and arrange on the skewers in an alternating pattern. Brush with oil and grill on the BBQ until charred and soft.
Baby Corn Rockets
I had the unfortunate incident of stabbing my self with a skewer trying to get the baby corn onto the vegetable kebabs – so they got their own wooden kebab sticks. Just impale them on the fat end, so they look like little spears and grill on the BBQ until charred and soft.
- 1/2 chopped red pepper, small chunks
- 2 handfuls raw cashew nuts
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- French dressing (Tesco’s Finest is vegan friendly!) or dressing of your choice
Chop the vegetables and mix with the raw cashews. Drizzle over the dressing and toss to coat.
- 1 chopped apple, small bite size piece
- 4-5 celery sticks, chopped
- 2-3 carrots, grated
- Approx 4oz of sultanas
- Vegan mayonnaise to taste
Chop the apple and celery, grate the carrot. Mix together and add the mayonnaise. Stir until combined and add in the sultanas. If necessary add more mayonnaise.
Anne’s Rice Salad
- 1-2 cups of cooked rice of your choice
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, drained and cut into small pieces
- 1 tin of sweetcorn, drained
- 1 apple cut into chunks
- optional: sultanas, peas, spring onions or any leftover vegetables.
Top the sun dried tomatoes and apple and mix with the rice thoroughly. Mix in your optional vegetables/fruits.
I had some Taifun Grill sausages as well, they held up really well on the grill and had a great smokey flavour – recommended!
Hideously over stuffed plate, all the salads above with Taifun Grill Sausages, boiled new potatoes, hummus, green salad and chargrilled courgette chunks.
Bonus adorable dog assistant.
Please follow and like us: