Before I went vegan, I remember having a chicken Caesar salad binge for 5 days solid. I like everything coated in Mayo so caesar dressing was for fancy nights. I came up with this recipe and the dressing is fantastic. The chickpea croutons are a great gluten free alternative, but be warned, completely addictive. Bring on the binge.
1 can chickpeas drained
1 teaspoon melted coconut oil
Squeeze of lemon
Squeeze of lime
1 tablespoon Seasoning- I used a ‘chilli and lemon’ seasoning, but paprika is fine
Ground black pepper to taste
1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
4 cloves garlic- 2 grated, 2 oven roasted, see below
Juice half lemon
Juice half lime
2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
Ground black pepper, to taste
1 cup water- add more if it’s too thick for you
Anything you fancy, I used:
Romain lettuce chopped
Any vegan preferable cut into strips for frying, I used seitan but firm tofu, frys strips, cheatin chicken etc are good!
1. Start with your chickpea croutons- preheat oven to 220degrees. Mix the chickpeas, melted coconut oil, all seasonings, juices in a bowl until coated.
Transfer onto greaseproof sheet on a metal tray. Add 2 of the whole garlic cloves to roast along with the chickpeas. Cook in the oven for 40 minutes until crisp!
2. Whilst your chickpeas are crisping in the oven make your Caesar sauce! Add the soaked cashews, liquids, grated garlic, seasoning, yeast, mustard and water into a high speed blender and blend for about a minute until the sauce is smooth. Taste- I love garlic but if you’re not a fanatic like me use just one clove.
Remember to add your 2 oven baked cloves of garlic to the blend once soft- these will take the edge off your raw garlic taste.
Remove the yeast for gluten free!
3. Make your salad, chop everything up how you like and construct
4. 5 mins before your chickpeas are done, cook your ‘chicken’ so it’s ready to construct on the salad. Add on top
5. Remove chickpeas from the oven, they should be born with hints of black. Try not to eat these all at once…. Honestly though, best snack.
Drizzle the dressing into your salad and chicken, less is more with this. Scatter chickpeas on top, enjoy!
Please follow and like us: