So we’re on an accidental cauliflower week here! I’ve wanted to make a cauliflower pizza base recipe for ages and this first attempt was lovely. My mum introduced me to figs on pizza last year and it’s blown my mind ever since. Trust me you’ll convert.
For the cauliflower base
- 1 whole cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 6 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons garlic granules
- 6 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the onion chutney
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon date syrup
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons dairy free butter
For the tomato base
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Pinch salt
Find the cheeze here – as the dressing but replace the cashews with sunflower seeds soaked.
- Rocket leaves
1. Make the cauliflower base. Remove the leaves and hard base from the cauliflower and cut the cauliflower into small chunks. Place in a food processor and ‘pulse’ until you the cauliflower looks like rice.
In a pan of boiling water boil the river cauliflower for 5 minutes.
Drain ALL the water and place in the freezer to cool for 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to gas mark 6.
2. Once the cauliflower is completely cool you will need to get rid of all the excess water or you’ll have a soggy base! I used my hands for this but if you have muslin or a tea towel you can strain the cauliflower through it will be a lot more effective.
3. Make your flax eggs- add the lukewarm water to the flax and mix. Set aside for 5 minutes so the flax thickens.
4. Put the base in the oven and cook for 25 minutes without the toppings.
5. Make the onion chutney. Cut the onions and garlic into thin slices. In a saucepan melt the oil and butter and add the onions. On a low heat with a lid cook for ten minutes to ‘sweat’ the onions and soften. Mix every few minutes to stop them sticking.
Once the onions are completely soft, add the sugar and date syrup and mix until melted. Add the balsamic vinegar and dinner until the it thickens. Once the mixture is sticky and the liquid is thick take off the heat and set aside.
6. Make the tomato base. Cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters. In a saucepan heat the oil and add the tomatoes on a low heat. You want the tomatoes to soften and not brown. Add the tomato paste and salt and heat for about 7 minutes until the tomatoes have completely softened. Remove from heat.
7. Once your pizza base has cooked for 25 mins, remove from the oven and construct! First spread the tomato on the base, the add teaspoons of the onion chutney, scatter the figs and streak the sunflower cheeze. Put back in the oven for another 15 minutes until the figs have started to shrink and the cheeze is slightly brown.