Ever since Rowena served us up the cauliflower rice in that amazing Italian food she made I was thinking all about it! Who knew it was so easy?
I whipped up this recipe when I was tasked with dinner whilst my mum made a pilgrimage to the supermarket! It’s a room temp salad but if you wanted to you could also eat it cold.
Also how great is it that I can come home after work, make and shoot a dish without it looking like I shot the photos in a dungeon! Yay, summer!
For the cauliflower rice salad
- 400g cauliflower
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Pinch of brown sugar
- 100g oil packed sundried tomatoes, excess oil drained off
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 50g slivered almonds
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Green tahini dressing
- 3 tsp brown tahini
- 3 tsp vegan green pesto, either homemade or store bought
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Start by preheating the oven to 400f. Chop the cauliflower into florets, discarding any excess hard stems. Pulse the cauliflower in a food processor for 1 minute until it resembles a small grained rice.
- In a bowl mix the pulsed cauliflower, olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread on a baking tray and bake for 12 minutes. Stirring half way through.
- Whilst the cauliflower is roasting prepare the onions, halve and slice the onion then in a small frying pan lightly saute on a low heat for 5-10 minutes until the onions turn translucent. Add the pinch of brown sugar and cook for a further 5 minutes until completely soft.
- Make the green tahini dressing. In the food processor, pulse together all the ingredients. Pour into a jug and set aside.
- Once the cauliflower is done, remove it from the oven and add it to a large salad bowl. Using scissors, chop the sundried tomatoes into small bite size pieces and add them to the bowl. Add the dried basil and salt and pepper and the onions.
- On a smaller tray, add the slivered almonds and roast for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and toss with the rest of the ingredients.
- Drizzle the green tahini dressing over the salad and serve with a few shredded basil leaves .