It’s nearly Christmas!! Meaning I’ve basically had time to do nothing. I really wanted to make some vegan gingerbread this year and I finally found some time to do it. I was a bit wary because this was my first time baking anything in our new oven – our old oven sadly died a couple of weeks ago (we had it for 20 years and it was here when we moved in!). The new oven is all in centigrade and has a fan so everything cooks a lot quicker.
These turned out great however! I’ve used wholegrain spelt flour because I wanted a deeper darker cookie but if you want to you can use regular flour. If you want to use these cookies as christmas tree decorations make a small hole in the dough before baking – then thread through some ribbon after they are chilled.
Recipe adapted and veganised from here
- 400g wholegrain spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 125g vegan butter
- 175g soft brown sugar
- 3 tbsp aquafaba
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- Preheat your oven to 350f/180c. Line two baking trays with parchment paper or silpat mats and set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add the butter and brown sugar. Beat on medium to cream together. Drizzle in the golden syrup and maple syrup. Add the aquafaba until everything is well mixed
- Slowly add the flour mixture bit by bit until the mixture comes together in a dough.
- Tip the dough out onto some clingfilm and knead lightly for about 3 minutes. It will be sticky – kneading it in the clingfilm will help reduce some mess!
- Wrap the dough up in the clingfilm and leave it in the freezer to chill for 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the freezer. Tip it out onto a well floured work surface. Using a floured rolling pin roll the dough out thinly, to around 1cm thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out your desired shapes until all the dough is used up. I used a mixture of star shapes, christmas tree and holly leaf cutters.
- Carefully place the cookies onto the prepared baking trays – making sure to leave a good distance between them as they will expand outwards when cooking.
- Bake the cookies in the oven for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Leave the cookies to cool on the parchment before peeling off and dusting with icing sugar.