The past 2 weeks I have been annoyingly ill and started a new job. All this means no taste buds, no time, no recipes!
I hate soup, really. It’s watery, they put that standard hidden demon dairy in it and it has no flavour. But this recipe beats them all! Simple and no fuss, you can cough and sneeze whilst making it at the same time. I’m a fan.
1 whole butternut squash
2 medium onions
3 cloves garlic
2tsp English mustard
Veg stock 700ml prepared
Salt and pepper
1tbsp Coconut oil or butter and vegetable oil
1. Cut and peel the butternut squash and parsnip into medium chunks and boil in a pan of water for 15ish mins until a knife goes through them easily. Once cooked drain BUT remember to keep the water for the veg stock for a better flavour! Make the stock with one stock cube and 700ml of the veg water. Set aside.
2. Whilst the veg is boiling, cut the onions into thin slices and press and roughly chop the garlic- don’t be precise with this, it all gets blended up!
3. Add 1tbsp of coconut oil to a pan and add the onions, cook them until really soft and clear- try not to burn the edges. Add garlic about 5 mins in
4. Once the onions are soft add the cooked veg and mix together. Take off the heat and blend with whatever means you have- I use a hand blender but feel free to pour into a smoothie maker etc.
5. Once smooth, put back on the heat and add the veg stock until it’s the consistency you desire. Heat through and until the soup is slightly reduced. I like my soup thick!
6. Aaaand season. Salt and pepper to taste and the English mustard. The trick is to taste, everyone’s palette is different.
So this was me all weekend