A year ago my go-to drink of a morning was a soya flat white from Eat that I would grab on the way into work. Unfortunately, for reasons unknown to me, consuming soya milk on a near daily basis was giving me the skin of my sixteen year old self again (we’re talking serious pizza face.) So I ended up jacking it all in.
I wanted to make a little post about what I love to drink now – there’s no caffeine involved unless you want there to be. The base is simple and can be adapted to your own preferences.
If you’ve read any of my posts rambling on about mushrooms before you’ll know that I am a huge fan of them in a culinary sense. It’s only recently that I have become interested in mushrooms for their medicinal purposes. If you’ve read anything on the internet lately about stress or health you’ve probably heard of “adaptogens” – in herbal medicine this applies to a natural substance that helps the body adapt to stress and normalise body functions (hence the “adaptogen” term.) There are many different adaptogens but the most well known is probably ginseng.
Medicinal mushrooms are considered to be adaptogens and each mushroom has a different function within the body. Brian and I both take a powdered fruiting body (made from the mushroom itself) mixture called Sacred 7 Organic Mushroom Extract Powder.
UPDATE: We now take a different powdered mushroom extract from Four Sigmatic:
This powder contains 10 medicinal mushrooms. This powder is dual extracted and more potent.
- REISHI – Boosts the immune system
- TURKEY TAIL – Boosts the immune system – thought to help combat cancers.
- CORDYCEPS – Boosts the immune system. Increases energy.
- CHAGA – known as the “king” of medicinal mushrooms. Helps to stimulate and regulate the immune system. Reduces inflammation.
- LION’S MANE – Boosts memory and brain function. Supports the nervous system.
- MAITAKE – Boosts immune system. Helps to manage chlosterol and blood sugar.
- SHIITAKE – B-complex vitamins, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus.
We also add Raw Organic Cacao Powder which has a very high level of antioxidants as well as being a good source of magnesium and iron. Cacao also contains a compound called phenylethylamine which is thought to boost mood and support energy – which is why eating chocolate can make you feel happy!
If you want to learn more about mushrooms in general I recommend checking out Four Sigmatic’s Mushroom Academy which is a free video based course on all things mushroom!
(For the base liquid of this drink I use hot filtered water but have also used black tea and cold brew coffee. If you want a creamier version, replace the hot water with your favourite hot non-dairy beverage.)
- 1 tsp Mushroom Extract Powder or medicinal mushroom of your choice
- 2 tsp Raw Organic Cacao Powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup or to taste
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup hot filtered water
- Splash of cashew milk or non-dairy beverage of your choice
- Either add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth OR add to a mug and then froth together using a mini whisk like the aerolatte.