Pumpkin season will nearly be over soon, so I’m trying to squeeze it in everywhere I can!
This is just an easy lunch recipe for a much needed vitamin pick me up. I’ve been training for races recently and it’s exhausting! Give me all the coloured food.
For the pumpkin
- One quarter of a pumpkin, de-seeded and skinless cut into large chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 fresh red chilli roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon chilli and lemon spice
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste (approx 1 teaspoon of each)
For the quinoa salad
- 2 cups of dried quinoa, cooked to instructions
- 1 tin lentils, drained
- 1 tin red kidney beans, drained
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Ground pepper to taste
Plus broccoli and spinach!
1. Heat oven to gas 6, prep your pumpkin whilst it’s pre-heating.
In a bowl place the chunks of pumpkin, garlic, chilli, spices, salt and pepper and the melted coconut oil. Mix until everything is coated.
Transfer to a baking tray and cook in the oven for 30 minutes until soft/slightly browned.
2. Whilst the pumpkin is in the oven cook the quinoa.
Mix together the cooked quinoa and the drained kidney beans and lentils. Add the lemon juice, olive oil and seasoning to taste. You may need more salt!
3. Construct! Chop up your spinach and use as a bed and place the pumpkin, quinoa salad and the broccoli on top. Great hot or cold.