Since becoming a vegan I’ve been searching for the perfect DIY truffle. This recipe is great for when the bank balance doesn’t quite stretch to a box of Booja Booja truffles!
Recipe adapted from Keepin’ it Kind
For the truffle ganache:
- 1 cup/175g dark chocolate or dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup/125ml full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tablespoon melted vegan butter or spread
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the chocolate coating:
- 3/4 cup/130g dark chocolate or dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
For the ganache (best done the night before!)
- Measure and if using dark chocolate bars, break into chunks. Place in a heat proof glass bowl.
- Measure and pour the coconut milk into a small saucepan and bring to the boil on a medium heat. Once the coconut milk starts to spit and bubble remove it from the heat. Leave to cool for a minute.
- Measure and melt your vegan butter whilst the coconut milk is cooling slightly.
- Once the milk is slightly cooled and your butter is melted. Add the coconut milk to the chocolate and stir vigorously until all the chocolate is melted and no lumps remain. Add in the butter and the vanilla and stir until smooth.
At this point the ganache must go into the fridge to cool until completely set. I left mine overnight (8hrs+)
Assembling the truffles.
- Remove your bowl of ganache from the fridge. Choose a spoon based on how big you want your truffles to be! We used a teaspoon.
- Get a baking tray ready to hold your truffles.
- Scoop out your spoonful of ganache and carefully roll it into a ball. Place on the baking tray. (Warning, your hands will get very messy but you can just lick off all the chocolate afterwards!)
- Once you’ve used all your ganache, place the baking tray into the fridge to firm up your truffles. Leave in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
- Whilst your ganache is firming up, start melting your chocolate. Place a heat proof bowl over a saucepan of boiling water and add your chocolate. Keep stirring until all the chocolate is melted. Add the coconut oil and stir until smooth.
- Now comes the fun part! Remove the truffles from the fridge and carefully spoon each one into the melted chocolate. Place them back on the tray. At this point you can top them with whatever you want, cacao nibs, coconut, cacao etc. We decided to leave ours plain.
- Place back in the fridge until you’re ready to enjoy!