When I was little we always used to make these chocolate biscuits we affectionately referred to as “dung balls”. They look almost exactly like dung balls but that makes them sound a little disgusting so I’ve gone with a more adult friendly title for this post! Anyway, last week I suddenly remembered that dung balls existed and that I definitely needed to “veganise” them.
This is a super easy recipe that takes less than 30 minutes.
- 4oz/113g vegan butter or margarine (at room temp)
- 2oz/56g caster sugar
- 3oz/85g cocoa powder
- 3oz/85g plain flour
- oil for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 300f/93c.
- Beat the butter until smooth then add the sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Sift in your flour and cocoa powder and stir until the mixture resembles a sort of coarse soil.
- Using your hands, grab some of the dough and squish it together, rolling it in the palm of your hand to form a small ball.
- Grease a baking tray and place the shortbread balls on the tray, spaced fairly far apart as they will spread when cooking.
- Bake the shortbread in the oven for around 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remember, the cookies will carry on cooking out of the oven so be careful not to over bake!