Yesterday was Pancake Day! Or Shrove Tuesday or Fat Tuesday, however you want to call it. It’s definitely one of our favourite days of the year because it’s okay to eat pancakes for dinner and for dessert.
Our pancakes in Britain are what everyone else would call crepes, but for consistency I’m gonna be calling them pancakes for the remainder of this post.
Becky – Pancake flipping Queen!
For the pancake batter
Adapted from here
- 4tbsp vegan butter melted
- 1/2 cup/118ml nut milk (We used soy milk)
- Slightly less than 1 cup/207ml water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup/128g flour
For the savoury pancake filling
- 1 medium red onion, chopped finely
- 3 small cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 200g chesnut mushrooms, sliced
- 3 handfuls of spinach
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup/64g vegan cream cheese
- 1 tbsp dried dill
For the batter:
- Melt the butter and then whisk or blend all the ingredients together until smooth and no lumps remain. Pour into a bowl and let rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
For the filling:
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic. Heat a saucepan on a low-medium heat and add olive oil. Saute the onions until translucent and add in the garlic.
- Next add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and the dill. Cook until the mushrooms begin to give off their liquid.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
- Add the cream cheese, stirring until it is all melted.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
To cook the pancakes heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat until you can feel the heat coming off the pan. Add the olive oil and swirl it around. You’ll know when it is ready when a small amount of batter flicked into the pan starts to sizzle immediately. Using a ladle, scoop out half the pancake batter and pour into the pan, swirling to cover. Cook each side until golden brown and transfer to a plate. Fill your pancake with filling and roll it up like a cigar! Place in an oven proof dish covered with foil in the oven to keep warm whilst you make the rest.
For our sweet dessert pancakes we had the choice of fillings of :
- Golden syrup
- Maple syrup
- Biscoff spread
- Lemon and sugar (A classic!)
- Justin’s chocolate hazelnut spread
Becky and Sarah xxx