This weekend we spent time at my aunt’s farm and a BBQ was on the cards for Sunday. Becoming vegan is a bit like being a boy scout – you always gotta be prepared. I brought my own goody bag with hummus, vegan mayonnaise, butter, soy milk etc but huge credit to my aunt for providing a plethora of vegetables for me! Here are some recipes for some of the things I ate at the BBQ.
- Wheaty Smoked Steak or similar seitan/faux meat product cut into medium chunks
- 1 medium sized onion, cut into quarters
- 1 courgette, cut into chunks
- 2 red peppers, cut into chunks
- 8 mushrooms, cut into chunks
- Metal BBQ skewers
Cut your vegetables and seitan into chunks and arrange on the skewers in an alternating pattern. Brush with oil and grill on the BBQ until charred and soft.
Baby Corn Rockets
- Baby corn
- Wooden skewers
I had the unfortunate incident of stabbing my self with a skewer trying to get the baby corn onto the vegetable kebabs – so they got their own wooden kebab sticks. Just impale them on the fat end, so they look like little spears and grill on the BBQ until charred and soft.
- 1/2 chopped red pepper, small chunks
- 2 handfuls raw cashew nuts
- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- French dressing (Tesco’s Finest is vegan friendly!) or dressing of your choice
Chop the vegetables and mix with the raw cashews. Drizzle over the dressing and toss to coat.
- 1 chopped apple, small bite size piece
- 4-5 celery sticks, chopped
- 2-3 carrots, grated
- Approx 4oz of sultanas
- Vegan mayonnaise to taste
Chop the apple and celery, grate the carrot. Mix together and add the mayonnaise. Stir until combined and add in the sultanas. If necessary add more mayonnaise.
Anne’s Rice Salad
- 1-2 cups of cooked rice of your choice
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, drained and cut into small pieces
- 1 tin of sweetcorn, drained
- 1 apple cut into chunks
- optional: sultanas, peas, spring onions or any leftover vegetables.
Top the sun dried tomatoes and apple and mix with the rice thoroughly. Mix in your optional vegetables/fruits.
I had some Taifun Grill sausages as well, they held up really well on the grill and had a great smokey flavour – recommended!
Hideously over stuffed plate, all the salads above with Taifun Grill Sausages, boiled new potatoes, hummus, green salad and chargrilled courgette chunks.
Bonus adorable dog assistant.