The other morning before work I had a very spirited conversation with my fiance about vegan bacon. I’ve tried coconut bacon, seitan bacon, fakin bacon, tempeh bacon..you name it. But never really mushroom bacon…so I thought I would give it a whirl. Mushrooms are great for soaking up flavour!
I also have a confession to make:
I really, really don’t like raw tomatoes
So in this sandwich, I’m using sun-dried tomatoes because let’s be honest they are far superior to their raw counterparts.
This recipe makes enough for 2 people with a little bit of portbello bacon left over!
For the mushroom bacon
- 2 medium sized portobello mushrooms, sliced into thin strips
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1 tsp shiro (white) miso
- 1/4 tsp Hickory liquid smoke
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Black pepper to taste
For the avocado mayo
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo of your choice – I used Just Mayo
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices of bread of your choice
- Oil packed sun-dried tomatoes – drained of excess oil
- Lettuce of your choice – I used a mixture
- Start by mixing your mushroom marinade. Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Lay the mushroom slices out on a dish and pour over the marinade. Using a pastry brush, brush the marinade over the mushrooms, making sure to cover them properly.
- Cover the mushrooms and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the avocado mayo, pit and peel the avocado then mash the flesh in a small bowl. Stir in the mayonnaise and season to taste. It will resemble a pale guacamole. Set aside.
- Once the 30 minutes is up, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in skillet on a medium heat. Add the mushrooms in stages so as to not crowd the pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes each side or until the edges become crispy. Repeat for the remaining mushrooms.
- Assemble your sandwich! Spread the avocado mayo on one slice of bread then layer with the mushroom bacon, drained sun-dried tomatoes and lettuce. You can add a little extra avocado mayo to the top piece of bread if you wish!