Seemed appropriate on Friday the 13th to make something for Valentine’s Day tomorrow. What’s better than chocolate covered marzipan?
You can knock this recipe out in about 15 minutes so it’s a great “Oh god I forgot it’s Valentine’s Day” gift for that special vegan in your life.
- 60g/2oz 70% dark chocolate
- 130g/4.5oz golden marzipan
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- Heart shaped molds or cookie cutters.
- Start with the marzipan. If you have a heart shaped mold, press the marzipan into the mold and pop it out. You can also use a heart shaped cookie cutter – roll out your marzipan to about 1/2 inch thick and cut with the cookie cutter. The other alternative is to draw your own template! Draw a heart on a piece of paper, cut it out and then cut around the template on your marzipan using a sharp knife.
- Put a heatproof bowl over a pan of boiling water, add the chocolate, vanilla, coconut oil and salt. Stir until completely melted.
- Line a baking tray with a piece of parchment paper.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and using a spoon and a fork carefully dip the marzipan hearts into the chocolate mixture. Turn to coat and then remove from the chocolate. Tap off the excess chocolate.
- Put the chocolate covered marzipan hearts on the parchment paper and place in the fridge for about 10 minutes to harden the chocolate.
- Once cooled, box up the chocolates!