Since the dawn of aquafaba and the vegan meringue bandwagon I’ve been using a lot of cans of chickpeas. Usually, I’m more bothered about the liquid than the chickpeas themselves. This weekend, I was doing some recipe testing using aquafaba as an egg replacer and ended up with a can of chickpeas that I had no use for.
Normally I would make Isa’s chickpea of the sea faux tuna salad but I had been thinking about protein rich work snacks and so the spiced roasted chickpea was born. You can use these as a salad topping (hello, protein crouton) or just eat them as a snack!
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350f. Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan and set aside.
- In a bowl, add the chickpeas and spices. Pour over the coconut oil and stir thoroughly until the chickpeas are well coated in spices and oil.
- Bake on a non-stick baking tray for 20 minutes or until golden and crispy, turning half way.
- Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the fridge.