A little treat I made on a Sunday afternoon.
Adapted and veganised from Short and Sweet by Dan Lepard
- 250g wholewheat spelt flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 40g vegan butter, softened
- 25g strawberries cut into bite size pieces
- 25g blueberries
- 50g sultanas
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp water)
- 75ml almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 425f. First, prepare the flax egg. Mix the flax seed with the water in a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Prepare the vegan buttermilk mixture, in a jug combine the almond milk and vinegar then set aside.
- In a bowl sift together the spelt flour, baking soda and sugar. Add in the softened butter. Using your hands, rub the mixture between your fingers until it resembles a fine soil.
- Add the flax egg to the almond milk mixture and beat with a fork until fluffy, about 30 seconds. Pour into the flour mixture and mix with a spoon until it comes together.
- Tip the dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly for about 20 seconds. Using a rolling pin, roll out to about 5 cm thick. Cut out approximately 4-5 cm rounds using a pastry cutter or upside down glass.
- Place on a non-stick or parchment lined baking tray making sure the scones are touching each other. Brush with a little vegan butter.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, rotating the tray once at 7 minutes. Serve warm with butter or a good jam. Yield: approximately 10 scones.
Please follow and like us: