I’m a bit slow on the vegan hype sometimes. I’ve been hearing about how great gram flour is for about the last 6 months but never actually got around to buying any.
Finally I had a chance to make something with it! Quiche was always a huge thing in my house – my mum is a quiche wizard so this was a logical step for me. Next step: frittata!
For the vegetable filling
- 1/2 courgette, cut into thin rounds
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin slices
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Bay leaf
- Small bunch of dill, stems removed and chopped (about 2 tbsp chopped)
- Olive oil to fry
For the quiche fillling
- 1 1/2 cup gram flour
- 1 tsp of The Vegg or 1 tsp Kala Namak
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- 1 cup of water
To assemble the quiche
- 50g puff pastry – I use Jus Rol
- 8 inch baking dish
- Baking beans
- Preheat the oven to 350f. In a pan, add some olive oil and then the onion. Cook on a low heat until beginning to turn translucent. Add the minced garlic and the bay leaf.
- Add the courgette and peppers, increasing the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes until the vegetables are softened. Add the chopped dill. Discard the bay leaf and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, add the quiche filling ingredients and blend on high until very smooth and fully combined. It should resemble a thick pancake batter. Set aside.
- Lightly flour your work surface and then using a rolling pin roll out the puff pastry thinly into a 9 inch circle shape.
- Lay the pastry carefully over the baking dish letting the excess hang over the sides. Press the pastry into the sides of the dish then cut the excess away using a sharp knife. Prick the bottom of the pastry case with a fork.
- Line the pastry with parchment paper and pour in your baking beans. Spread them evenly. Cook the pastry shell in the oven for 15 minutes. Then remove the parchment and beans and cook for another 5 minutes until the base is crispy and golden.
- Add one layer of vegetables, then pour over half of the quiche filling, add the second layer and pour over the remainder of the quiche filling.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the quiche is solid and slightly cracked on top. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.