As this is my first 4th of July married to my lovely American husband I felt like a little celebration was in order. Coincidentally we got our first bumper crop of blackcurrants from the garden! Ten minutes later and my mum and I had dessert for what turned out to be the hottest July day on record!
Happy Independence Day to all the Americans out there!
- 150g strawberries, hulled and cut into quarters
- 50g blackcurrants, stems removed (sub blueberries to keep the red, white & blue theme!)
- 50g strawberry mixed grain muesli or muesli/granola of your choice
- Coconut cream scraped from the inside of 1 can of refrigerated coconut milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 1 tbsp Grade B maple syrup
- The night before place your coconut milk in the fridge. When you are ready to make the coconut cream, remove it from the fridge and turn it upside down. Scrape out the coconut cream into a bowl and save the water for a smoothie.
- Scrape the vanilla bean and add the vanilla to the bowl with the maple syrup. Using a hand whisk or an electric mixer beat until fluffy.
- Layer your parfaits (we used tumblers) starting first with the strawberries, then 2 tbsp of coconut cream then blackcurrants, muesli, coconut cream and so on until your glass is full. Top with more strawberries. Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.