I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve failed at making nut butter in my blender. When I’m with my husband in the U.S we have the Vitamix and it’s a total beast. It makes butter in about 3 minutes flat. Over here, I have a not-at-all powerful food processor and a Magimix blender. I tried making it in the food processor and the nuts just whirled around looking all sad.
Today I finally cracked making it in the Magimix! Here’s to the forthcoming 20lbs of almond butter I’m going to stuff into my face. I used pecans here because they are the CANDY of the nut world and I don’t see pecan butter in the shops at all. I also added some cashews to make it a little bit creamier. IT TASTES SO DAMN GOOD.
Then I spread it all over some gluten-free chia crackers and topped it with nectarine slices and hemp seeds. Bliss. You can obviously eat it however you like!
This recipe makes one small jar. If you feel like having more around just increase the pecans to 2 cups and the cashews to 1 cup.
- 1 cup raw pecans
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/4-1/2 cup neutral tasting oil such as vegetable or sunflower
- 1 vanilla bean pod, scraped
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Begin by roasting the nuts. In a dry pan over a medium heat add the nuts. Stir occassionally, until the nuts begin to release their smells and turn brown. They will colour quickly – be careful not to burn them. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the nuts into the blender, add 1/4 cup of oil and begin blending. At first you may need to push the nuts into the blender blades. I used a rolling pin for this.
- Scrape down the sides then continue blending on high for about 3-10 minutes depending on your blender. If the mixture is still lumpy and doesn’t flow around the blades smoothly, add a little more oil. It will feel like the nuts will never, ever blend but they will!
- Once the nuts are blended into a smooth butter consistency, add the salt, vanilla and cinnamon. Blend on low to combine.
- Pour the butter into a jar and allow to cool before slathering on everything.