Last week the lovely people over at Drink Maple sent me a whole bunch of delicious maple water.
If you’re not familiar with maple water – it’s exactly what you think. Water tapped from the maple tree! It has a subtly sweet maple undertone and a refreshing water taste.
Maple water has more manganese than a cup of kale and half the sugar of coconut water as well as 46 nutrients. It’s also a good source of calcium and iron so bonus for us vegans. It’s basically a delicious tasting nutritional powerhouse!
I’m using it here to make an overnight bircher muesli – perfect lazy people breakfast food. Feel free to sub the cranberries and pecans for whatever dried fruit and nuts or seeds you like.
- 1 cup rolled oats or gluten-free certified oats
- 1 small apple, peeled and grated
- 3/4 cup maple water
- 1 tsp ground flax seed
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp pecans
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Peel and grate the apple.
- Mix the rolled oats, maple water and flax seed together in a bowl. Cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, in a dry pan over a medium heat toast the pecans. If the muesli is too dense, thin a little with some more maple water.
- Top the muesli with the dried cranberries and toasted pecans. Sprinkle with the cinnamon.