Happy World Vegan Day!
What better way to celebrate than with treats? These are almost raw besides the dark chocolate layer. No bake and done in about 20 minutes.
You may notice a couple new little banners on the side of the blog…I’ll be making a post about that soon! Stay tuned.
For the base
- 1 cup pecans
- 10 soft pitted dates
For the date caramel
- 20 soft pitted dates
- 1 vanilla bean pod, scraped
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt (depending on how salty you like it)
- 2-3 tbsp water
For the dark chocolate layer
- 200g dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Line a 10 inch x 8 inch pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a food processor, add the pecans and pulse until they resemble a coarse soil. Add the pitted dates and pulse again until the mixture comes together.
- Press the dough into the pan in a thin layer and place in the fridge to chill.
- Make the caramel, add the dates, vanilla and salt to the food processor. Add 2 tbsp of water. Pulse until smooth. Add some more water if the caramel needs thinning.
- Set the caramel aside. Over a double boiler, melt the chocolate and coconut oil.
- Spread the caramel over the cooled base in a smooth layer. Pour over the melted chocolate mixture.
- Place back in the fridge to chill until the chocolate is solid.
- Remove from the fridge, using the parchment paper to lift the bars out of the tin. Using a sharp knife cut the bars into squares.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.