I’m a big fan of jackfruit. I’ve made BBQ pulled pork and a jackfruit pot pie. The stringy texture of the young, green jackfruit lends itself well to a meat like texture. I wanted to try and use it as a chicken substitute without shredding it like I did in my pot pie recipe.
The blog turned two the other day! I remember last year I said I was going to remember..well I didn’t! I only realised because Facebook gave me one of those “two years ago today” reminders. I’m a bad blog mum clearly. Anyway, thanks for sticking around and reading this blog for the past couple of years!
- 1 can Young Green Jackfruit in Brine – NEVER IN SYRUP
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup soya milk mixed with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Vegetable oil for frying
For the breading
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried dill
- Reserved 1 cup of soya buttermilk marinade
- 1/2 cup flour
- Mix the soya milk with the apple cider vinegar in a small cup or jug. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit thoroughly. Using a sharp knife cut away the small spongy triangle piece on each of the jackfruit. If you wish, use the knife to carefully pop out the round seeds.
- Add the jackfruit to a bowl and add the spices and garlic. Mix well with a spoon.
- Pour the soya milk and vinegar mixture over the jackfruit. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave in the fridge for at least 1 hour or up to 3 hours.
- Carefully drain the jackfruit, reserving the buttermilk mixture.
- Prepare two bowls. In one bowl add the reserved buttermilk mixture and whisk in the 1/2 cup of flour. In the another bowl add the flour, spices and herbs. Whisk well to combine.
- On a medium heat, heat about 1/2 inch vegetable oil in a large heavy bottomed frying pan or cast iron skillet. When a little flour flicked into the oil starts fizzing immediately the oil is ready.
- Working in stages dip the jackfruit into the flour mixture, shake off the excess then dip into the batter mixture then finally back into the flour before frying each side for 3-4 minutes or until crispy and golden.
- Repeat for all the remaining pieces of jackfruit. Serve hot with your favourite vegan mayonnaise or ranch dressing.