We tend to have a lot of cooked beets in knocking around in the fridge. Last night I was thinking about what to eat for dinner and rustled up this beauty.
The beets will turn the cauliflower pink! So it’s like a totally pink bowl. It’s so pretty.
If you don’t have any leftover beets, you can boil them in water for 45 minutes until fork tender.
For the vegetables:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, cut into strips
- 200g cauliflower, cut into thin slices
- 2 cooked small beets, peeled and cut into slices
- 100g baby spinach
- 3 tsp capers (or sub chopped green olives)
- Salt & pepper
For the millet:
- 1 cup millet
- 2 cups water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp hulled hemp seeds
- 1 tsp olive oil
- In a cast iron skillet add the 1 tablespoon of oil and heat on a medium heat. Add the sliced onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions soften.
- Start the millet, in a saucepan add the millet, water, stock cube and bay leaf. Heat the pan on a high heat until the water begins to boil. Once the water boils, turn the heat down to low and cover. Set a timer for 15 minutes.
- Add the sliced cauliflower to the skillet and cook for 4 minutes until the cauliflower takes on some colour.
- Add the spinach. Stir until the spinach is wilted.
- Add the capers and stir well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the millet has cooked, fluff it with a fork. Discard the bay leaf.
- Add the millet to a bowl, top with the cauliflower and beets. Drizzle with the teaspoon of olive oil and top with the hemp seeds.